To the coast

Posted by Les On 10:18 PM
October 30, 2009

It's so strange with the end drawing near.  I feel like I've been doing this so long that now it's just a part of my everyday life.  I've got my routine down to a tee.  This morning when I got up I felt pretty good after the grind yesterday and started getting ready...packing the bags, eating breakfast, getting ready to go.  It dawns on me that I'm really going to miss the drill when this is all over.  I ended up getting a later start than expected, which was fine today since it was a shortish ride and I was going to get to the hotel before Mr. S&R anyway. 

I started out a bit shy of 10:00 and was looking forward to today's ride because I expected some lovely surroundings and spectacular scenery.  But first I had to deal with going east toward the coast on the same road that was pretty crappy for me the day before.  Traffic was horrible this morning.  The Florida v. Georgia game is tomorrow in Jacksonville and there is way more traffic than usual.  The entire beginning 13 miles was zooming cars and trucks and me.  My friend Leica informed me this morning that 18-wheelers outweigh me by like 16 tons.  Really don't need to go there!  But again like yesterday, I did what I was supposed to do, stayed focused on my surroundings, and everything was fine.  I finally reached the bridge going over to Amelia Island.



After going over the bridge I turned onto Amelia Island Parkway, which was a lovely stretch of road and where I found my first dedicated bike lane of the trip.

 
 
Unfortunately it didn't last too long!  I ran into this woman on this portion of the road.



I explained to her that my horse's name is Red Ranger.  For some reason she gave me a funny look.  I neighed farewell to her steed and pedaled on my way.  Then I came across this sign, which I don't think my picture does it justice.  It's one of my favorite road signs.



The canopy road was beautiful.  I didn't get any pictures because I was holding up traffic since it was a two-lane road without a bike lane.  Couldn't really pull over in that situation.  I eventually rode over the bridge crossing Nassau Sound.



As I was hanging out taking pictures another cyclist rode up and stopped and we had a great conversation.  Her name is Cherry and she lives on Amelia Island.  She's a cycling advocate and is working to improve conditions for cycling on Amelia Island.  She was wearing a Colorado jersey and explained that she cycles there during the summer.  She rides from Amelia Island to the ferry most days, about a 30-mile ride, but was complaining that it's too flat in Florida!  I didn't go into my hill woes.  I can understand how cycling here in Florida might seem a bit disappointing after riding in the Rocky Mountain state.  She took this picture of me (us) on the bridge before she headed on her way.
  


My favorite part of the ride today was the stretch that Cherry rides all the time, from the bridge over Nassau Sound to the ferry.  Along that route you pass by Big Talbot Island State Park and Little Talbot State Park.  You also cross over Fort George Inlet.



Eventually you get to the ferry that crosses the St. Johns River.  I rolled in just as the ferry was taking off.  I thought about doing the run-and-jump like in the movies, but my path was blocked.





So I took advantage of the 30-minute wait and had a pit stop.  Here's RR waiting for the ferry.



And here's a picture of me with my $1.00 boarding fee taken by one of a carload of Florida fans in town for the game.






On board the ferry I struck up a conversation with several of the passengers, but in particular a woman named Leigh Ann, a pool cleaner, who travels on the ferry three times a week to service her clients across the river.  She was the first in line to drive aboard, and therefore the one car closest to the webbing that runs across preventing cars from tumbling into the river.  I asked her if she ever thought about her car diving into the river and she told me every single trip she takes on the ferry she thinks of Thelma and Louise.  Here's a picture she took of me on the ferry.


And a few more I took myself.



 



After disembarking from the ferry I rode along a lovely road through the town of Mayport before heading into Atlantic Beach and then Jacksonville Beach.  There was only one problem road in this section, as I was forewarned by a passenger on the ferry.  He was right!  But I only had about two miles of it before heading off into quiet neighborhoods, zigzagging toward 1st Street/Ocean Street, where my hotel is located.

I got to the hotel just in time to unload and shower before Mr. Search and Rescue knocked on the door.  A person I know!  It was so good to see him.  We headed down to Atlantic Beach to a place called Ragtime for a glass of wine and an appetizer to hold us until dinner.  After strolling around just a bit we headed back to the hotel.  I took a brief nap and we just relaxed for a while before heading out to a restaurant named Campeche Bay for some Mexican food...fish tacos to be specific.  Yum! 

Right now we're back in the hotel and our room has an ocean view just beyond the courtyard.  There's a Greek wedding going on and the music is loud!  Also they're breaking dishes on the ground.  Lots of them!  Everybody is just grabbing dishes and throwing them into the broken dish pile and whooping it up and screaming.  I'm glad they're enjoying themselves, but I wonder how late this party is gonna go! 

I've had mixed feelings about tomorrow.  I've wavered and changed my mind a couple of  times.  I had come to the conclusion that I was going to cancel tomorrow's ride for two reasons.  One, my body is pretty much spent.  I've abused it this week and it's letting me know how pissed it is at me.  Two, this weekend is chaotic around here, packed with revelers and tailgaters and reckless beer-guzzling scalawags...not the safest environment for a cyclist.  Of course they probably won't be up early in the morning when I'd be heading out though.  Steve is convinced I shouldn't go.  I feel both ways.  I'd be relieved that it's over and I've accomplished quite a bit, but I also feel it isn't done yet.  I just haven't crossed the finish line (one that Steve reminds me was arbitrary), or as Shayna says, taken my victory lap.  Not sure what I'm gonna do yet.  All I can say is check in tomorrow...same bat time, same bat channel.

6 Response to 'To the coast'

  1. Unknown Said,
    http://theroadlespedaled.blogspot.com/2009/10/to-coast.html?showComment=1256956704053#c4434587119193724468'> October 30, 2009 at 10:38 PM

    Thelma and Louise? Double Jeopardy!!

    glad your safe and had lots of fun -creepy people!!

     

  2. Julie Said,
    http://theroadlespedaled.blogspot.com/2009/10/to-coast.html?showComment=1256956895419#c2907546625321389979'> October 30, 2009 at 10:41 PM

    WAY TO GO!!!!!!! Do whatever you feel is best for you. Personally, I think you've earned the right to take a pass tomorrow, but it's totally up to you. The crazies on the road are a concern, but do whatever is in your heart. I know you'll make the right choice, whatever that may be.

     

  3. Anonymous Said,
    http://theroadlespedaled.blogspot.com/2009/10/to-coast.html?showComment=1256959770338#c7356652465029277974'> October 30, 2009 at 11:29 PM

    Regardless of what you decide to do tomorrow, you know in your heart and in every aching limb of your body that this is a VICTORY, whether it's 300 miles or 350 miles, whatever it is -- I've lost count -- each and every day of this week has been a VICTORY!!! Take care of yourself the best way you can, whether it be mentally or physically. Have fun with your husband tonight. Love you tons and I'm so proud to be related to you! Your Sister

     

  4. Unknown Said,
    http://theroadlespedaled.blogspot.com/2009/10/to-coast.html?showComment=1256987839357#c4802975892097965476'> October 31, 2009 at 7:17 AM

    I don't guess you asked for votes but I agree with Julie. I think you've earned the right to bask in your glory, relax, and enjoy your husband. Your body will thank you for it. Start planning the next ride! I know you are thinking about it. Congratulations!

     

  5. Anonymous Said,
    http://theroadlespedaled.blogspot.com/2009/10/to-coast.html?showComment=1257013295325#c3867946596168348771'> October 31, 2009 at 2:21 PM

    Following along has been so much fun! What an awe inspiring adventure. I know this journey will be life changing. Great job!
    Jenni

     

  6. Shayna Said,
    http://theroadlespedaled.blogspot.com/2009/10/to-coast.html?showComment=1257089100875#c4401699962648073817'> November 1, 2009 at 10:25 AM

    "My friend Leica informed me this morning that 18-wheelers outweigh me by like 16 tons." ...There's always bound to be one line (at bare minimum) per entry that gets me laughing out loud with a dopey smile! I am so glad your friends are your friends, and, as always, I'm honored to be mentioned so often in your postings! A commendable day for you, Motherp.

    I'm also glad that you began to see the acceptance of new routines and a new way of operating as second nature to you. You have thoroughly embraced this trip. You committed yourself fully and dug right in, whereas you felt you were scrambling a week ago when trying to get ready for it. I'm so happy for you, that whether you did the "victory lap" or not, you gave yourself every opportunity to conquer something you've wanted to do for so long :-) You conquered yourself!

     

Post a Comment