Crossing the finish line

Posted by Les On 5:18 PM
October 31, 2009

Well, I couldn't handle it.  It just seemed so anticlimactic sitting in the hotel room last night.  Steve was discouraging me from riding today, that he didn't want me to hurt myself, that I'd gone far enough.  I just didn't want to have any regrets.  I didn't want to succumb (as Shayna put it) to the security offered to me.  So for the first time during the entire trip I set the alarm so that I could take off at sunrise and head toward St. Augustine.

I'm SOOOOOOOOO glad I did!  It was 30 miles of sheer bliss.

Mr. S&R took these pictures of me at dawn just before starting.



 
 
And then this one right after I took off.



And while I was riding I asked him to take some pictures of the sunrise because he had his good camera and I was on the road.  Just wanted to share what I was experiencing.






I started out on 1st Street (or Ocean) along the coast.  I then merged onto Ponte Vedra Boulevard and I wasn't alone!  There were so many cyclists and runners out there.  It's a great stretch of road and everyone had the same idea...to take advantage of the beautiful sunrise.  For the first time all week I was getting passed by something other than cars and trucks!  There were serious hard-core cyclists out there in their pace lines and on their triathlon bikes training.  The neighborhood there is beautiful.  There are some amazing houses and resorts.  This is one of my favorites.



It's kind of hard to see, but it had those shaker singles on the front and was just beautiful.  And for the benefit of Mr. S&R, an early morning golf course shot.



And here's my contribution to the morning pictures after stopping at a home construction site to use the porto-potty.




I had left absolutely everything behind except my water.  I didn't even carry spare tubes or anything today.  Red and I were flying high.  My hotel didn't have a continental breakfast...only brunch later in the day...so I had eaten a few bites of trail mix before leaving and was getting pretty hungry, but I just kept on pedaling.  At around 26 miles I see a black Prius pass me by and then pull in front of me.  Guess who!  He snapped this.



And he brought me Krispy Kremes and chocolate milk.  Breakfast of champions!  So for the first time this trip I made it 26 miles before breaking.  It's amazing what not carrying a load can do!  What I didn't know was that I was almost done.  Steve took off after the break and I continued on my way.  In just a couple of minutes I saw this.



I couldn't believe it.  Two miles.  Guess which way I turned??  That led to the Francis and Mary Usina Bridge going across the river to St. Augustine...my last climb of the trip.  I stopped at the top to take these pictures.







Then I took a look around, took a deep breath, got in Red's saddle and zoomed down the hill, bawling the whole way.  That was the moment I would have missed out on if I hadn't ridden today.  That was the feeling of exhilaration I was lacking.  That was the glorious sense of empowerment, achievement, and amazement I would have regretted not experiencing.  That was when I crossed the finished line.  That was my victory lap.







 

It was a bit surreal loading up the car.  Like I said yesterday, I had developed such a routine that it seemed strange to me that it was coming to an end.  I was so emotional.  I was crying as I put The Ranger up on the car rack.



While Steve went to the bathroom I secretly kissed him and hugged him and thanked him for carrying me safely home.  I know that sounds so melodramatic, but that's what I was feeling at that moment.  Then we got in the car and were immediately in a time crunch.  We had made plans to visit Michelle, a family friend who lives on Anastasia Island.  We were an hour late because we set the time last night, when I had decided I wasn't going to ride today.  And we had to squeeze in our visit in enough time to drive back to Orlando so Steve could watch the Florida v. Georgia game (current score 24-10 at the half).  Again it was so strange being held to time constraints...something I'll have to quickly get used to again.

We had a lovely visit with Mich.  I've known her since she was born (47 long years ago).  Her home is right on the beach with a gorgeous porch with Adirondack chairs to enjoy the ocean views.  I showered and we sat around and chatted and then went out for brunch at the Palma (or Palms or something similar) Grill.  It tasted sooo good and it was great to see Michelle after so many years.



Then we hit the road for home and here I am.  It was emotional again unloading Red from the car and putting him in the garage.  It's like he became this other entity to me during this trip...my friend and companion and caregiver.  Just didn't seem right to stick him in the garage after he was spoiled this week!  I thanked him again for being so trustworthy and reliable and bringing me home.

I got a message from my friend Jenni saying that this would be a life-changing experience for me, and it has been.  I'm still kind of numb from it all and haven't been able to reflect on all the things I experienced and the changes I've undergone.  I'll have to post on all that after I've had some time to emotionally settle down and be still for a bit.  So that's what I'm going to do right now...just relax and be still and let it all sink in.  I can't believe it's over.

5 Response to 'Crossing the finish line'

  1. Anonymous Said,
    http://theroadlespedaled.blogspot.com/2009/10/crossing-finish-line.html?showComment=1257031627417#c3052111786026684407'> October 31, 2009 at 7:27 PM

    I am so proud of you. I've followed your entire journey, and you can stretched your perspective of limits, of what you can do. Great Job!

     

  2. Unknown Said,
    http://theroadlespedaled.blogspot.com/2009/10/crossing-finish-line.html?showComment=1257041450264#c4529299513323104740'> October 31, 2009 at 10:10 PM

    I'm glad you didn't listen to us worrywarts! Yay Leslee! The sky is the limit. I'm inspired.

     

  3. Anonymous Said,
    http://theroadlespedaled.blogspot.com/2009/10/crossing-finish-line.html?showComment=1257053176758#c5766925398272086304'> November 1, 2009 at 1:26 AM

    I was crying when I was reading that. Congratulations. I'm very proud of you. Love, Sun

     

  4. Shayna Said,
    http://theroadlespedaled.blogspot.com/2009/10/crossing-finish-line.html?showComment=1257090183269#c2425668185173323916'> November 1, 2009 at 10:43 AM

    I was so glad to read of how glad you were, of your 30 miles of sheer bliss! What a way to end the trip, with the coaxes and beauty of the scenery to guide you along!

    I am so proud of you on so many levels. You did it for yourself, and I'm sure it was overwhelming to confront the very fact that what you gave was what you got back, unbridled and unabashed.

    Cheers to you for your victory lap among victory laps. Keep us posted, however so, on how the effects will manifest in you. I love you so much.

    STRONG MOM BEATS TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     

  5. Unknown Said,
    http://theroadlespedaled.blogspot.com/2009/10/crossing-finish-line.html?showComment=1257132438314#c100542866517526026'> November 1, 2009 at 10:27 PM

    I am so very happy for you that you accomplished one of your dream rides! How inspiring you are and I am privilidged to know you. I wanted to leave you in peace this weekend and for you to relax and enjoy your victory. I attended an advanced spin class instead of venturing out, I look forward to more adventures! CONGRATULATIONS!

     

Post a Comment